Today on The VedaFoods Health Show with Dr. Jay Apte, we talk about Ghee, clarified butter.
About Dr. Jay Apte:
Dr. Jay Apte is the most experienced, India trained Ayurveda practitioner in the Bay Area and Silicon Valley. She has an integrated degree in Allopathic and Ayurvedic Medicine from Pune University in India. In addition, she also has a Master’s degree in bio-medical sciences (Pharmacology) and has completed coursework for a Masters degree in Nutritional sciences from University of California at Berkley.
After graduating in 1973, she worked as a Gynecologist in India for 9 years before migrating to the U.S. She has practiced Ayurveda for more than 35 years, nearly 30 years in the US, first in Dallas, Texas and now in Mountain View, California. Her sole focus is on providing the very best Ayurvedic (holistic) health care, including Panchakarma treatments, by bringing eastern wisdom and western knowledge together. She has helped thousands of clients suffering from a variety of illnesses such as Allergies, Asthma, Arthritis, Digestive Problems, Skin Conditions, Women’s Issues, Stress, Depression, Anxiety, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Eczema, Psoriasis, Children suffering from ADD, Autism and many more.
She is currently a board member of the National Ayurvedic Medical Association (NAMA) and a past president of the California Association of Ayurvedic Medicine (CAAM). She is an entrepreneur and has started various Ayurvedic businesses including Ayurvedic wellness center, Ayurveda academies (to teach Ayurvedic medicine around the U.S.), Herbal Care – first company to manufacture Ayurvedic Herbal supplements in the U.S. and AyurFoods – world’s first manufacturer of delicious and tasty, holistic and healthy Ayurvedic foods. She is a gifted teacher and has given seminars and lectures in various forums around the U.S. Dr. Jay enjoys nature walks and is very passionate about Ayurveda.
You can purchase this yummy organic Ghee made by Dr. Jay’s wellness center #AyurFoods #VedaFoods at:
Giddy about Ghee
Ghee is 100% pure fat. Butter is 80% fat. During preparing ghee from butter, water evaporates and milk solids sit to the bottom as a brown crust. Since milk solids are removed from the ghee. People who are lactose intolerant can consume ghee.
It doesn’t need refrigeration. Store it in the kitchen cabinet like oils.
It solidifies at cooler temperatures, and in warmer climates the top layer stays liquid. It is grainy in texture and when solid and is the most pure form of fat.
Do not put wet spoon when taking ghee out of the jar. The water (wetness) will spoil the ghee. If you keep it tightly closed the ghee will stay good for years. (But it tastes so yummy that you will finish the jar in few days). In India, the ghee is kept in a silver container.
For the VIDEO VERSION:
Direct Link to the Video in case embed is not cooperating:
You can consume ghee in different ways:
- Mix 1 tsp. ghee in luke warm water drink in the morning right after brushing teeth. It lubricates each and every cell in the body.
- Add a tsp. of ghee in your morning cereal, or spread it on your toast.
- Stir in a tsp. of ghee in a bowl of soup and mix it in your rice or quinoa during lunch or dinner.
- Occasionally sauté your veggies in ghee.
- Few people just love to lick a tsp. of ghee just like that.
Here is a recipe for a ghee tonic.
Combine 1 cup of milk, ½ cup yogurt, 2 tsp. ghee, 2 tbsp. honey and 2-3 tsp. raw sugar in a bowl. Drink it in the morning or at night. It is called Panchamrut – nectar to gain weight, reduce dryness in the body, boost immune system and have a smooth radiant skin.
A great tonic for pregnant women:
1 cup warm milk, 1 tsp. ghee, ½ tsp. turmeric. Drink at night.
For the AUDIO-PODCAST VERSION:
Direct Link to the Podcast in case embed is not cooperating:
Benefits of ghee:
- It boosts your immune system
- In Ayurvedic texts it is written that it improves memory, luster, energy and endurance.
- It cleanses channels in the body, soothes voice, cools body, stimulates digestive enzymes, it is an aphrodisiac, it prolongs life, nourishes eyes, and is the best among all the fats.
- Cardiologists are recommending to consume some amount of saturated fats daily for heart health.
- Ghee being a medium chain fatty acid, aids in digestion and helps in weight loss.
- Externally applying ghee is a wound healer. In the old days, ghee was used as a wound healer.
- It lubricates skin so use it as a natural moisturizes,
- It soothes eyes, so put 2-3 drops of ghee in eyes at bed time to reduce redness, tired eyes or dryness of eyes.
- If the nose becomes dry put few drops of ghee in the nose.
- If you are a singer or a speaker, drink warm water with ghee in it. It lubricates vocal chords and soothes one’s voice.
In Ayurveda ghee is cured with variety of herbs to make it medicated ghee. – turmeric ghee, ashvagandha ghee, bitter ghee etc
If you have any questions you would like answered on the show, please email us at: email@example.com
To be a guest on the show, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on VedaFoods please visit us at:
For more information on Dr. Jay Apte’s Wellness Center go to:
All of the information shared on “The VedaFoods Health Show” or VedaFoods website, webinars, blogs, podcasts, videos either presented by Dr. Jay Apte or guests are from their own personal experience, research, education, and experience with their clients.
Every person is an individual and as such we recommend that everyone seek counsel from their own personal doctor before starting any exercise program or health regimen of any kind.